It’s been a while since I last posted… I’ve actually been to a really nice cafe in Kingscliff but due to two teething babies and a couple of weeks of a sick household I haven’t had much time of late. Which is why I’m posting this – as my Doctor once said when I was sick, “get some chicken soup into you, that s*&t is magic!” Which is why this recipe is here. That and it’s got lots of lemon in it, I just looove citrus . Plus, it’s easy!
Before I begin may I say thank you to the wonderful Donna Hay (& Co) for this recipe.
1 tab oil
1 brown onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, sliced
4 chicken thigh fillets (I prefer free range) Actually, if you want to make this recipe even easier you could just use some shredded BBQ chicken here.. but I like cooking the thighs in stock first
1 litre chicken stock (free endorsement – I like Campbells Liquid Stock)
2 cups water
1 cup risoni
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup flat parsley leaves
Grated parmesan and lemon zest, to serve
- Heat oil in large saucepan, add onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken thigh, stock and water and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken, shred (use two forks – see the picture below – although I don’t generally like chicken thigh and find it a bit gross shredding it, you will get the best result) and set aside
- Add risoni to the pan and cook for 6-8 minutes (stir so the risoni doesn’t stick to the bottom)
- Add chicken with lemon rind, juice and parsley leaves (don’t leave this sitting with the leaves too long or they start to look a bit tired – a bit like my picture below, waited a bit too long to take it!)
- Ready to serve – just top with more lemon rind and parmesan
Beautiful bright lemon and parsley
Shredding the chicken – turns my stomach doing it but worth the effort
The finished product – I did let it sit for too long before I took this photo, hence the parsley looks a bit tired. Still, yummo!